在美国名校念书的贫困生面临哪些挑战

发布时间:2013-12-19 09:45    发布者:1770309616
关键词: 美国名校
The Challenge Of Being Poor At America's Richest Colleges在美国名校念书的贫困生面临哪些挑战
Shelling out $300 for one chemistry textbook. Jetting off to Budapest, Paris and Rome while studying abroad in Madrid. Grabbing a last-minute Amtrak ticket to Manhattan for a job interview during senior year.
一个化学课本要300美元。在马德里学习期间坐飞机前往布达佩斯、巴黎和罗马。大四期间,在最后一刻买到美铁车票赶到曼哈顿参加一个工作面试。

For many students at America’s elite colleges, these are as much a part of university life as pulling all-nighters and complaining about dining hall food. But for low-income students, these are not only unaffordable luxuries, but part of a topic that can be more taboo than sexual orientation: the size of their wallets.
对美国精英学校的很多学生来说,这类事情和开夜车以及抱怨食堂伙食一样,构成了他们大学生活的一部分。但对低收入家庭的学生而言,这不仅是难以负担的奢侈品,而且是比讨论性取向更忌讳的话题的一部分:他们钱包的大小。

Much has been written about getting high-achieving, low-income students through the Ivy-covered gates of America’s top colleges. And indeed, the focus on improving the economic diversity of college admissions is needed; a recent Brookings study found that just 8% of low-income students applied to a “reach” school and just 34% of high-achieving students in this group attended one of the country’s 238 most selective universities. (The study defined low income as being in the bottom fourth, income-wise, of families with a senior in high school. For 2008, the year studied, low-income meant a family income below $41, 472.)
让成绩优异的低收入家庭学生进入美国顶级大学被常春藤覆盖的大门,这种故事已写了很多了。事实上,提高人们对大学招生中学生经济背景多样性的关注程度,这是很有必要的,最近布鲁金斯学会(Brookings)的一项研究发现,低收入家庭的学生中只有8%申请了“愿望”大学,这个群体中成绩优异的学生里只有34%进入了全美238所最优秀的大学。(这项研究对低收入家庭学生的定义是:家庭收入排在倒数第四个等级的高中毕业班学生,这项研究于2008年开展,当年的低收入家庭指收入在41,472美元以下的家庭。)

Not surprisingly, while poor kids are underrepresented on elite campuses, the wealthiest kids are overrepresented. At Harvard, 45.6% of undergraduates come from families with incomes above $200, 000 — in other words, incomes in the top 3.8% of all American households.
毫不奇怪,当寒门学子在精英学校中所占比例过低时,富裕家庭的孩子在这类学校中所占的比例偏高。在哈佛大学,45.6%的大学生来自年收入超过200,000美元的家庭,换句话说,这代表了美国所有家庭中收入最高的3.8%家庭。

Yet for all the studies and attention paid to how to get more low income students onto America’s top campuses, there’s little discussion (on or off campus) about what life is like for those students after they win admission.
虽然对如何让低收入家庭的学生进入美国顶级学府进行了这么多研究,关注程度不可谓不高,但这些学生进入这些大学后的生活是怎样的(校内和校外),却鲜有讨论。

In a guest column for Duke University’s student newspaper that recently went viral, senior KellyNoel Waldorf addresses how isolating it can feel as a low-income student at an elite university. “Why is it not OK for me to talk about such an important part of my identity on Duke’s campus? Why is the word “poor” associated with words like lazy, unmotivated and uneducated? I am none of those things, ” she writes. “Why has our culture made me so afraid or ashamed or embarrassed that I felt like I couldn’t tell my best friends ‘Hey, I just can’t afford to go out tonight?’”
最近像病毒般迅速传播的杜克大学学生报纸的客座专栏中,大四学生凯莉·诺埃尔·沃尔多夫(Kelly Noel Waldorf)谈及一所精英大学的低收入家庭学生会感到多么孤立无援。“为什么在杜克大学的校园,我不能谈论我身份中这么重要的一部分?为什么一提到‘贫穷’这个词,人们就与懒惰、消极和没有受过教育联系在一起?我不属于其中任何一种。”她写道。“为什么我们的文化让我如此害怕,或耻于跟我的朋友们说:‘嗨,今晚我没钱跟你们一起外出。’”

In a recent phone interview, Waldorf clarified that this isn’t just a Duke-specific problem, but an issue that exists across the country and is exacerbated by some of the wealth she and others see at Duke.
在最近进行的电话采访中,沃尔多夫表示,这并不仅仅是杜克大学的问题,而是一个全美各大学中都存在的问题,她和其他人在杜克大学看到的一些有钱学生的做法加剧了这种印象。

“I was in a class once where a professor basically assumed that no one in the class had cleaned a house for money, and that wasn’t true, ” Waldorf says. “It’s sort of like an erasure of that population, ” she says.
“我过去所在的一个班级里,有位教授认为我们当中基本上没人为了挣钱去干打扫屋子的工作,但这不是事实。”沃尔多夫说。“这就好像是把这部分人群给抹掉了一样。”

Beth Breger, executive director for Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America (LEDA), a scholarship organization that helps high-achieving, low-income students gain admission to America’s top colleges, says part of the problem stems from the fact that a majority of campuses are set up for your average upper/middle class student, one who comes to school with a certain set of “soft skills” that disadvantaged students still need to learn.
贝丝·布雷格(Beth Breger)是“面向多元化美国的领导事业(Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America,LEDA)”的执行董事,该组织为成绩优异的低收入家庭学生提供奖学金,资助他们进入美国顶级大学学习。她说该问题部分源于大多数大学是为中/上层阶层的学生开设的,这些学生在进入大学时已具备一定的“软技能”,而这些软技能是家庭条件不那么好的学生仍需要学习的。

“Setting up a bank account for the first time. How to make an appointment with a professor. How to ask for a recommendation letter. How to navigate support from a TA (teaching assistant), ” are things lower-income students need to learn, Breger says. And these knowledge gaps are just the tip of the iceberg.
“第一次开立银行账户。如何跟教授预约。如何请别人给你写推荐信。如何向助教寻求支持。”这些都是低收入家庭的学生需要学习的,布雷格如此表示。而知识上的差距还只是冰山一角。

As anyone who’s ever subsisted on ramen noodles for weeks on end knows, the effects of an empty wallet can pervade virtually every aspect of life. Students I spoke with talked about how, despite full academic scholarships that cover tuition, room and board, difficulties arise with everything from affording on-campus student events (such as musicals or concerts), to missing out on Greek life, to eating alone in at the dining hall on a Friday night when friends are eating out somewhere they can’t afford.
正如曾经好几周靠吃拉面维生的人最后终于知道,空空的钱包所造成的影响会遍及生活的每个方面。与我聊到这个话题的几位学生说,虽然获得了能够支付学费和食宿费的全额奖学金,但还是不断遇到各种困难,从负担校内学生活动的开销(例如音乐喜剧和音乐会)、缺席“希腊生活”(美国大学特有的一种社团活动,通常是由同性组成的各种联谊会,如兄弟会、姐妹会——译注),一直到周五晚上独自在食堂吃饭,而朋友们外出去价格让他们难以承受的餐厅就餐等等。

Even something as simple as a trip to the laundry room can serve as a reminder of the income disparities. Christian Ramirez, a LEDA scholar who grew up in Queens and is currently a junior at Harvard, remembers a time during his freshman year when his mother came to visit and decided to help him with his laundry. They both noticed piles of clothing on top of the washing machines in his dorm’s laundry room and Ramirez realized that he had seen those exact same piles a week or two before. The realization—that someone would simply forget to pick up his clothes –took both Ramirez and his mother aback. “When I do laundry, I literally make sure I have every single sock and no piece of clothing is left behind, ” he says. “I personally cannot afford to replace them, ’’ he says.
甚至连去趟洗衣房这么简单的事都能提醒他们收入上存在的悬殊差距。克里斯汀·拉米雷斯(Christian Ramirez)是一位LEDA奖学金获得者,他在皇后区长大,现在是哈佛大学的三年级学生,他还记得在大一期间,他妈妈来看他时想帮他洗衣服。他们两人都注意到在他们宿舍楼洗衣房的几台洗衣机上,摞着大堆衣物,拉米雷斯意识到他一或两周前看到的是同一堆衣物。这种意识——有人根本忘记要收走衣物——让拉米雷斯和他的母亲都吃了一惊。“我去洗衣服的时候,我会确保每样东西都收走,没有一件衣物落下。”他说。“我个人没法负担弄丢了再买的开销。”他说。

Clothes can be one of the most conspicuous indicators of wealth, and more than one low income student noted the designer threads peers wear serve as persistent reminders of the wealth gap. Yasmine Arrington is a Jack Kent Cooke scholar – the recipient of a prestigious scholarship from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, so named for the former Redskins owner who left his fortune to high-need, high-achieving students — who now attends Elon University, a southern school where guys favor khakis and many girls wear the preppy Lilly Pulitzer brand. Arrington remembers her reaction when she discovered what an average Lilly Pulitzer piece might cost.
衣物是家庭富裕程度最显而易见的指标之一,而且不止一个低收入家庭的学生提到,从头到脚一身名牌的同学无时无刻不在提醒他们财富上面的差距。杰克·肯特·库克基金会(Jack Kent Cooke Foundation)的奖学金享有极高声望。基金会的名字以华盛顿红人队前老板的名字命名,他将自己的财富留给了成绩优异而又极需资助的学生。雅斯明·阿灵顿(Yasmine Arrington)是该奖学金的获得者,目前就读于依隆大学,在这所南方大学中,男生偏爱卡其布服装,而很多女生则身着Lilly Pulitzer的学院风服饰。阿灵顿还记得当她发现平均一件Lilly Pulitzer衣服的价格时她的反应是什么。

“I was like, ‘oh my goodness a dress for $200?’” Arrington, an Elon junior, says. However, she says it doesn’t get to her because she focuses on developing her own style for her own prices, which most importantly, makes her happy. “I don’t feel deprived because it makes me more unique. My style is my style and no one else is going to walk in with my suede boots or jeans.”
“我的反应是‘哦我的天哪,一件衣服要200美元?’”依隆大学三年级学生阿灵顿说。然而,她说这并不会让她烦心,因为她专注于以自己能承受的价格,发展出自己的穿衣风格,更重要的是,这让她很开心。“我没觉得失落,因为这让我更加独特。我的风格就是我的风格,不会有人穿着跟我一样的小山羊皮靴或牛仔裤走进教室。”

Nightlife offers its own set of dilemmas. Those whose wealthier friends don’t mind footing the bill for a night out — in the name of friend-group unity, perhaps — find accepting such financial help can introduce a certain level of guilt.
夜生活上演了它自己的两难处境。那些较富裕的学生并不介意为一个晚上的外出消遣买单——可能打着为大家统一结账的名义——但接受这种“资助”的学生可能会产生一定程度的内疚感。

“If we go out, and friends are like, ‘oh no, I’m getting this, I’ll pay for this, ’ and then it’s like bah!” says Edith Carolina Benavides, a Jack Kent Cooke scholar who is a senior at Harvard. “I literally owe so much money to my friends, beyond owing them so much for their support and being there for me.”
“如果我们外出,而朋友们说:‘哦不,我来结,我来买单,’这种感觉很糟。”杰克·肯特·库克奖学金获得者伊迪丝·卡罗琳娜·贝纳维德斯(Edith Carolina Benavides)说,她是哈佛大学的四年级学生。“我欠我的朋友们这么多钱,此外他们给予了我这么多的支持和帮助,我欠他们的太多了。”

Maureen Mahoney, the dean of the college at Smith College, and Barbara Cervone, president of the education non-profit What Kids Can Do both noted that medical problems — particularly lagging dental care or undiagnosed learning disabilities — can cause significant snags for poor students who might already be reeling from the academic culture shock. Cervone remembers one high achieving student from the Dominican Republic who, in her freshman year at Wellesley, found she had several rotting teeth, which couldn’t be fixed because the university’s health policy wouldn’t cover it. After a petition to the college president, the policy changed and the student was able to get the care she needed and continue with her studies. But the situation highlights how proactive students have to be to procure the funds and care they might need.
史密斯学院院长莫林·马奥尼(Maureen Mahoney)和非营利教育机构What Kids Can Do总裁芭芭拉·切尔沃内(Barbara Cervone)都注意到了医疗的问题——尤其是拖着不治的牙病或未经确诊的学习障碍——可能会对已经受到学院文化冲击而烦恼不已的贫困学生造成更大困扰。切尔沃内还记得一位来自多米尼加共和国的优秀学生,在上韦尔斯利学院的第一年,她就发现自己有几颗蛀牙,而这些蛀牙无法修补,因为这所大学的医保政策并不包括这一项。在向学院院长递交了一份请愿书后,学校修改了医保政策,这名学生得以接受其需要的牙科治疗并继续其学业。但这种情况表明,学生需要多主动才能获得其需要的资金支持和医疗服务。

This proactiveness doesn’t always come naturally, Mahoney notes, as many high-achieving students (low income or otherwise) have trouble asking for help when they need it. Assuming, of course, a low income student knows exactly what resources they need. Renata Martin, a Jack Kent Cooke scholar at Brown says that she never saw herself as “disadvantaged” while growing up, but coming to a school like Brown brought to light all the resources and opportunities she had missed out on, and missing out on even the simplest things – like academic support resources or individualized academic attention – can make it hard to look for them in a higher-ed scenario.
但马奥尼指出,这种主动性并不总是自发的,因为很多优秀学生(低收入家庭或其它情况)在他们需要帮助的时候很难开口。当然,假设一名低收入家庭的学生确切知道他们需要哪些资源的话。布朗大学的杰克·肯特·库克奖学金获得者勒娜特·马丁(Renata Martin)说,她在成长的过程中从来不觉得自己是“穷人”,但上了布朗大学这样的学校后,她看到了自己缺失的那些资源和机遇,她甚至看到了自己缺失的那些最简单的东西——比如学习辅导资源或对个人的教学指导——这在高等教育中是很难得到的。

“I think the hardest part is not even financial – it’s trying to know about most of the things that your peers know about, ” she says. “It can be isolating, going to a public high school with all these differences you don’t think about until you go to an elite school where you stand out in many different ways.”
“我认为最艰难的地方甚至都不是经济状况,而是努力了解你的同学了解的大部分事物。”她说。“这会让你觉得很孤立,在上公立学校的时候你完全意识不到这些差异,直到你上了一所精英大学,在那里你在很多方面都显得很突出。”

Some colleges, like Smith, and scholarship foundations, like LEDA, try to spread awareness of the academic and financial support resources available to low-income students. At Smith, this support includes a (limited) extra fund available to students in emergency situations, so if a family emergency arises and a last-minute flight across the country becomes necessary, a low-income student can make the trip. Not all campuses or scholarship organizations offer this feature, so it’s important to check with the office of student life and/or the financial aid office to get a full list of student benefits and resources.
有些大学,比如史密斯学院,以及奖学金基金会,比如LEDA,努力让贫困家庭的学生知道他们可以获得哪些学习辅导和资助资源。在史密斯学院,这种支持包括对遭遇紧急情况的学生提供(有限的)额外资助,因此,如果家里有急事,需要学生搭最后一刻的国内航班赶回去处理的话,低收入家庭的学生能够成行。并不是所有大学或奖学金组织都提供这种资助,因此询问学生处或助学金管理处,以全面了解学生可以获得的支持和资源是非常重要的。

While many of the students interviewed say that life as a low income student at an elite campus got progressively easier as they got older and carved out their own niches, Duke’s Waldorf notes that her low-income status adds additional pressure to one of the more trying parts of senior year: hunting for a job or applying to graduate school.
虽然很多接受采访的学生表示,低收入家庭的学生在名校的生活随着其年龄增长和开辟出自己的小天地而逐渐变得较为轻松,但杜克大学的沃尔多夫指出,作为低收入家庭的学生,大四这一年,一件更加令人头疼的事为她带来了额外压力:找工作还是申请进入研究生院。

“I don’t have money to pay for transportation for interviews. What if my phone gets shut off right before an interview?” she says. “A lot of the Duke population is not thinking about, ‘is it difficult for my neighbor to job search because they don’t have nice interview clothes?’”
“我没钱支付参加面试的交通费,如果我的电话在面试前恰好开不了机了怎么办?”她说。“杜克大学很多人都不会想:‘我隔壁同学找工作会不会很难,因为他们没有参加面试的合适服装?’”

To be sure, the solutions to these issues vary on a campus-by-campus basis. Some student career service centers — like Barnard’s — have a suit-borrowing program from which students without business-professional clothing can borrow a donated dress suit with their student ID, at no cost. Other campuses, such as UNC, have a stipend students can apply for that can help pay for interview clothes. Likewise, some colleges and graduate programs (William and Mary’s Mason School of Business is one) have stipends available for job-hunting transportation costs.
实话说,各学校对这些问题的解决办法各不相同。有些学生就业服务中心——比如巴纳德学院——提供套装出借服务,没有职业套装的学生可以用自己的学生证免费借用捐赠的套装。其它学校,例如北卡罗来纳大学,向学生提供了一项补助金,学生可以申请这笔资金以帮助他们购买面试时穿的衣服。同样,有些大学和研究生院(威廉与玛丽学院梅森商学院就是一家)还为找工作的学生提供交通补助费。

LEDA’s Breger says that graduate school application costs – including prep courses, prep books, test fees and school application fees – are so high that is not uncommon for a low income student to decide the costs are prohibitive. Instead, they may graduate and work for a few years to save money and then apply to graduate school. The good news is that there are fee-waivers available for low-income test takers of the GRE, GMAT, LSAT and MCAT; the bad news is that because different testing boards run each exam, the eligibility requirements and application process for the fee waivers vary from test to test, so it’s important to read the fine print before you count on receiving discounted exam fees.
LEDA的布雷格表示,研究生院的申请费——包括备考教材、考试费和学校申请费——是如此之高,低收入家庭的学生普遍认为费用高得令人望而却步。因此,他们可能会选择大学毕业后工作几年,存够了钱再申请研究生院。好消息是GRE、GMAT、LSAT和MCAT考试对低收入家庭考生减免费用,坏消息是因为各考试是由不同的考试委员会管理的,减免费用的资格要求和申请流程并不相同,因此在指望能获得考试费减免优待之前,务必要阅读印刷精美的说明材料。

It should be noted that job-related resources aren’t just for low-income seniors; there are a number of stipends and scholarships available for low-income students who wish to pursue unpaid internships and research opportunities earlier in their undergraduate careers — opportunities that are frequently limited to their higher-net-worth counterparts. College Greenlight is one such resource for these scholarships: a division of scholarship search engine Cappex, it dedicates its algorithms to finding resources especially targeted to low-income or first-generation college students (often one and the same). Among the scholarships currently available on College Greenlight is a $10, 000 award for a student interested in broadcast journalism or digital media; a $25, 000 award with a potential spot in Merck’s summer program, specifically for an African American college junior; and four consecutive paid summers at Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California.
需要指出的是,与找工作相关的资源并不只是面向低收入家庭的大四毕业生的。此外还有很多补助金和奖学金是提供给想要在大学期间尽早开始无薪实习和研究工作的低收入家庭学生的——这些工作机会常常只有他们那些家庭背景较优越的同学才能得到。College Greenlight就是提供此类奖金学信息的组织之一,它是奖学金搜索引擎Cappex的一个部门,它开发的算法搜索特别为低收入或第一代大学生(通常都是一回事)提供奖学金资源。目前,在College Greenlight上可以搜索到的奖学金信息包括:对有兴趣从事广播新闻或数字媒体行业的学生提供的10,000美元奖励;专门为非裔美籍大三学生提供的25,000美元奖励,有可能会在默克药厂(Merck)的暑期实习计划中获得一个职位;以及在加州伯班克市华纳兄弟电影公司(Warner Brothers Studios)连续四年的带薪暑期实习机会。

Jonathan April, College Greenlight’s general manager, says that many colleges offer their own internship stipend programs, so it’s important to supplement a Cappex/College Greenlight search with visits to the financial aid office and the career services office. (The dual visit might be a pain, but it’s better to leave no stone unturned with these things.)
College Greenlight的总经理乔纳森·埃普利尔(Jonathan April)表示,很多大学都设立了自己的实习补助金计划,因此除了使用Cappex/College Greenlight搜索引擎之外,还要向助学金办公室和就业服务办公室了解情况,这非常重要。(造访这两个办公室可能会是痛苦的经历,但对这些事情最好全面了解清楚。)

Ultimately, it’s spreading awareness of resources like these — and not being afraid to have discussions about economic disparities on campus — that will help low-income students feel more at ease at elite universities, students and adult experts say.
学生和专家表示,让更多人知道此类资源的存在——并且让大家认识到不要害怕在校园里谈论经济状况上的差异——这将最终有助于名校里低收入家庭的学生放下包袱,活得更加轻松自在。

Low income students “need to be assured that they’re as entitled to all the resources of a Smith education as any other student here. It’s often not so much about direct intervention so much as exposing them to all the incredible opportunities we have here, and to make sure they know these opportunities are for them, ” Smith’s Mahoney says.
低收入家庭的学生“需要认识到,他们和这里的任何其他学生一样,有权获得史密斯学院拥有的所有资源。这往往不在于直接的干预,而在于向他们敞开我们学院提供的所有这些美好的机遇,并确保他们知道,这些机遇是属于他们的。”史密斯学院院长马奥尼说。

Breger echoes these sentiments. “You’re getting an education valued at a quarter-million dollars and you should milk every dollar you can, ” she says. “Get the most bang for your buck whether it’s your buck or not. These resources are part of what make these campuses so phenomenal. It’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help; if anything it’s a sign of strength.”
布雷格对这些观点表示赞同。“你接受的是花费高达25万美元的教育,你要挤出你能挤出的每一块钱。不管是不是你的钱,你要花最少的钱办最多的事。这些大学如此杰出,部分在于它们提供的这些资源。寻求帮助并不是软弱无能的表现,而是强大的表现。”

If hearing advice from adults doesn’t help, take it from someone who’s still navigating this often tricky terrain. Harvard’s Christian Ramirez remembers feeling alone as a low-income student at an Ivy League institution at first, but slowly realizing there were many other students like him and it was okay to ask one of them, or an administrator, for help.
如果成年人的建议没有什么帮助,那就请教仍在摸索这一常常让人头疼的领域的某人吧。哈佛大学的克里斯汀·拉米雷斯还记得作为一个低收入家庭学生,刚开始进入一所常春藤盟校学习时所感受到的那种孤独感,但慢慢地,他意识到还有很多像他一样的学生,而且向一位同学或学校的行政人员寻求帮助没什么丢脸的。

“[The school’s] resources are there to help you, and don’t be afraid to seek them out, ” he says, ultimately concluding that success is possible if students channel one key characteristic. “It’s about being tenacious. I think tenacity in these situations can go a long way.”
“[学校的]资源就在那儿呢,都是为了帮助你的,不要害怕寻求帮助。”他说。最后他总结道,如果学生们培养出一个非常关键的性格特征,他们是很有可能取得成功的。“这就是要顽强。我认为在这些情况下,顽强能让一个人走得很远。”

本文地址:https://www.eechina.com/thread-124845-1-1.html     【打印本页】

本站部分文章为转载或网友发布,目的在于传递和分享信息,并不代表本网赞同其观点和对其真实性负责;文章版权归原作者及原出处所有,如涉及作品内容、版权和其它问题,我们将根据著作权人的要求,第一时间更正或删除。
1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:47:13
journalism['dʒə:nəlizəm]video
n. 新闻业,新闻工作;报章杂志
awareness[ə'wɛənis]video
n. 意识,认识;明白,知道
recipient[ri'sipiənt]video
n. 容器,接受者;容纳者adj. 容易接受的,感受性强的
sentiment['sentimənt]video
n. 感情,情绪;情操;观点;多愁善感
clarify['klærifai]video
vt. 澄清;阐明vi. 得到澄清;变得明晰;得到净化
tuition[tju:'iʃən]video
n. 学费;讲授
guilt[ɡilt]video
n. 犯罪,过失;内疚
isolate['aisəleit, -lit]video
vt. 使隔离;使孤立;使绝缘n. [生物] 隔离种群vi. 隔离;孤立adj. 隔离的;孤立的
elite[ei'li:t, i'li:t]video
n. 精英;精华;中坚分子
scenario[si'nɑ:riəu, -'næ-, -'nεə-]video
n. 方案;情节;剧本
1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:49:00
人质谈判专家给CEO们的管理启示

随着企业家慢慢成熟变为领袖人物,他们运营公司的方式会出现两大显著变化。他们会花更多时间来倾听,而不是发言。他们不再试图寻找所有问题的答案,而是开始更多地提问。关键时刻,他们将凭借提出正确的问题拨开迷雾,而不再乱下命令。
    这是为什么呢?正如莉斯·怀斯曼在《乘数》( Multipliers)中所描述的那样,这种做法可以让身边的人变得更聪明。员工们不再坐等首席执行官发号施令,而是开动脑筋自己解决问题。这将提高员工能力,最终使他们更好地实行公司战略。
    倾听是说服他人认同自己的最好方法。人质谈判专家深谙此道。他们只有一个目标,那就是让人质劫持者放下武器,但同时又不能上演徒手夺枪的戏码。他们只能提出切中要害的问题,令罪犯束手就擒。
    我并不说要把员工比作罪犯。员工都是按照自己的动机、自主安排的独立个体。学会了怎么像CEO一样去提问,同时并认真倾听每个员工的答案,这样就能将工作场所的氛围变得更愉快,同时取得更好的效果。领导力专家奥布里·丹尼尔斯说,绝大多数员工都停留在完成任务层次上,如果能让他们在追随你的过程中充满激情,他们一定会为之付出更多努力。它甚至可以变成一种竞争优势。
    如何做到这一点呢?CEO们都可以读读马克·古尔斯顿《倾听就好》(Just Listen)一书,学学作者解决问题的方法。他是一名临床精神病专家,根据以前作为人质谈判专家和FBI培训师的经历提供商业咨询。
    先从开会入手,员工们通常认为会议浪费生命。开会时,不要一上来就跟下级对日程或发命令。他建议,让员工设想一下,假如这是一次有史以来最成功的会议,那么等回到工位上,他们会想起这场会议都涵盖了哪些议题?然后找几个人问一下他们的意见,不要总挑那些积极发言的人。他指出,通常员工的反馈会集中在以下几点上:“我们想知道公司眼下头等大事是什么”,以及“我想知道我该把精力放在什么上头。万一跟我想的不一样,我可不想等公司决定舍弃某项目后整整两周时间才知道消息。”
    会议进程中,要专注倾听。身为CEO,听的时候要注意关注全局,少发表意见。古尔斯顿建议采取“引导话题深入”的策略,显示你对员工的意见很感兴趣。员工讲到重点的时候,例如带“总是”或“绝不”这样的句子,你就可以说“再讲透彻点”、“嗯”或者“真的吗”,借此引导员工进一步详细阐述他关注的问题。这时多半就能找到影响团队进步的问题,无论是坏了的复印机,还是客服电话处理流程出了问题。
    等到谈完了会议中最重要的问题,要确认所有人都能领会到你的优先次序。古尔斯顿建议会议结束时,不妨来个小测验强化一下印象。让员工在卡片上匿名写下他们认为会议上谈到的最重要、最关键的工作,然后把卡片收上来。
    如果团队关注点出现了偏差,读这些卡片就可以帮你发现问题。如果你发现有人完全误解了下一步工作重点,可以这样说:“我有一个好消息,还有一个坏消息。坏消息是我们思想还没有完全统一。好消息是我负责解决这个问题。我会把工作做得更好,这样我们就可以拧成一股绳了。比如说我扪心自问,眼下什么是最重要、最关键、最紧迫的工作,我想应该是下面这些事情。”
    然后一一说明。古尔斯顿说:“如果让员工去猜,或者不说明白,就有可能让员工白忙一场。”这样的后果可能很严重。
    能耐心倾听员工的心声,同时能把问题提到关键点上的CEO收获一定很大。他们的公司将得以成长。他们有信心员工能圆满完成工作,而不是像大多数企业家一样,一年到头、白天黑夜,任何事情都亲力亲为。所以,你愿意做哪种类型的CEO呢?(财富中文网)

译者:侯婕

When business owners mature as leaders, they make two crucial changes in the way they run their companies: They spend considerably more time listening than talking. And instead of trying to have all the answers, they start asking more questions. They'll cut through the fog at critical moments with exactly the right inquiry, instead of barking commands.
    Why? It makes everyone around them smarter, as Liz Wiseman explains in her book Multipliers. Instead of waiting for the CEO to issue orders, employees start thinking for themselves. That amplifies their strengths and ultimately makes them better at executing the company's strategy.
    Listening is the most powerful method to persuade others to join your cause. No one knows this better than hostage negotiators. They have one job -- to get the hostage-taker to put the weapon down -- but they can't just reach over and grab the barrel of the shotgun. All they can do is ask the right questions to make the hostage-taker want to surrender it on his own.
    I don't mean to imply that your employees are criminals. But they are individuals who have their own motivations and agendas. By learning to ask them questions the way a CEO should -- and listen carefully to their answers -- you'll build a happier workplace and achieve better results. Most employees will do what's necessary to get by, but if they are enthusiastically behind you, they'll put in a lot more effort, as leadership expert Aubrey Daniels has explained. That can be your competitive edge.
    So how do you do this? Every CEO can learn from the approach taken by Mark Goulston, author of the book Just Listen. He's a clinical psychiatrist who advises businesses based on what he learned as a former hostage negotiator and trainer for the FBI.
    It starts with your meetings, which employees usually think are a giant time suck. Don't start with reviewing the agenda or issuing directives at your next one. Instead, he suggests, ask your employees to imagine walking back to their desks afterward and think about what the meeting would have covered if it had been the best one you ever had. Go around the room and ask a few people, not just the biggest talkers, for their input. Usually, the feedback you'll get comes down to a couple of things, he says: "We'd like to know what the most urgent priorities are," and "I'd like to know what I should be focusing on -- and if it's different, I don't want to be told two weeks from now that we dropped it."
    Once the meeting is underway, concentrate on listening more -- with a CEO's focus on big-picture goals -- and making fewer comments. Goulston suggests using "conversation deepeners" to show employees you're interested in what they have to say. Simply saying, "say more about that," "hmmm," or "really" after they made a particularly emphatic comment -- such as one where they've used the word "always" or "never" -- will prompt them to elaborate on issues that they're passionate about. This is where you are likely to find out about things that are getting in the way of your team's progress, whether it's a broken copy machine or a process for handling customer service calls that's going awry.
    Once you've covered the most important topics at the meeting, make sure employees are leaving with the same priorities you have. Goulston recommends shaking things up with a pop quiz at the end. Ask employees to write down what they think were the most important and critical takeaways of the meeting on an index card -- anonymously -- and collect them.
    If your team is focused on the wrong priorities, reading the cards will help you figure that out. Let's say some of them have completely misunderstood the next steps you've outlined. You might say, "I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is we're all over the place. The good news is it's my responsibility to fix that. I'm going to do a better job so in the future we can all be on the same page. If I were to ask myself what I thought were the most important, critical, and urgent things, they would be the following."
    Then outline them. "If you leave anything to their imagination, and you're not specific, you run the risk of their working hard doing the wrong thing," says Goulston. That can lead to disaster.
    There's a big reward for CEOs who take the time to listen to their employees and learn how to ask the right questions. They're the ones who end up being able to grow their companies. They can trust their employees to get things done -- instead of working 24/7 to do everything themselves like the vast majority of business owners. Which type of CEO do you want to be?

1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:50:55
2013最新美国十大MBA院校排名

2.jpg

1. 哈佛商学院
• 得分:100
• GMAT平均分:727
• 录取率:11.8%
• 2013年平均基本工资:120,000美元
今年9月,《纽约时报》(The New York Times)发表了一篇长篇专题报道,介绍哈佛商学院(Harvard Business School)在校园中努力消除性别不平等的成果。但那篇冗长的文章留给读者的总体印象是,哈佛商学院似乎存在一些深层次的问题,仍然需要它努力解决。
事实上,在解决性别不平等问题方面,哈佛商学院取得了令人印象深刻的进展。性别不平等问题在几乎所有商学院都普遍存在。从更宏观的层面说,这是一个社会问题。2013届学生中,荣获“贝克学者”荣誉(Baker Scholar,班级前5%)的女性比例创下历史记录。47名贝克学者中有38%是女性。而在几年前,这个精英群体中的女性可谓凤毛麟角。虽然2009届的女性学生比例达到了36%,但当年的“贝克学者”仅有11%为女性。
而且在今年的新生班级中,女性学生比例更是创下哈佛商学院的记录。941名新生中约41%是女性,去年的这个比例是40%,前年则是39%。

1.  Harvard
• Index: 100
• Average GMAT: 727
• Acceptance rate: 11.8%
• 2013 median base salary: $120,000
In September, The New York Times published a major feature on Harvard Business School's highly successful efforts to erase gender inequality from its campus. But the overall impression left by the lengthy article was that Harvard had some deep-seated problems that it was still struggling to resolve.
In fact, the school has made impressive strides to address what is a broader societal issue that plays out to some degree on all business school campuses. In the class of 2013, the percentage of women receiving Baker Scholar honors, the top 5% of the class, hit a new record. Out of 47 Baker Scholars, 38% were women. Only a few years ago, women were routinely underrepresented among this elite cohort. Though women account for 36% of Harvard's class of 2009, only 11% of Baker Scholars were female.
This year's entering class, meantime, boasts the highest percentage of women to ever enter Harvard Business School. Some 41% of the incoming 941 students were women, up from 40% last year and the previous year's 39%.

1.jpg
2. 斯坦福大学商学院
• 得分:99.6
• GMAT平均分:732
• 录取率:6.8%
• 2013年平均基本工资:125,000美元
斯坦福大学商学院(Stanford)今年的毕业生中选择创业的学生达到创纪录的18%,巩固了这所商学院作为领先MBA创业孵化器的地位。斯坦福大学商学院地处硅谷核心,毗邻风险投资界的中心——沙丘路。这样得天独厚的地理位置优势使得源自斯坦福的初创企业能够比诞生于其他商学院的新公司获得更慷慨的投资。
斯坦福大学商学院今年的新生尤为引人注目。一年级MBA的平均分高达3.73分,在所有美国商学院中名列榜首,高于去年斯坦福大学商学院的3.69分。研究生管理专业入学考试(Graduate Management Admission Test)的平均分也创下历史记录,为732分,去年为729分。

2.  Stanford
• Index: 99.6
• Average GMAT: 732
• Acceptance rate: 6.8%
• 2013 median base salary: $125,000
A record 18% of this year's graduating class at Stanford started their own companies, solidifying this business school's position as the leading incubator for MBA startups. Its location in the heart of Silicon Valley, not far from Sand Hill Rd., the epicenter of the venture capital world, has made Stanford startups the most generously funded of all new ventures coming out of business school.
This year's entering class at Stanford is among the most distinguished its ever had. The average grade point average of the first-year MBAs crept ever higher, to an impressive 3.73, the highest of any U.S. business school and up from Stanford's 3.69 average last year. The average score on the Graduate Management Admission Test is also a new record: 732, up from 729 last year.

1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:53:57
4.jpg
3. 芝加哥大学——布斯商学院
• 得分:98.9
• GMAT平均分:723
• 录取率:21%
• 2013年平均基本工资:115,000美元
芝加哥大学布斯商学院(Chicago Booth)连续第四年在Poets&Quants的排名中位列第三,并依然保持着强劲的势头。今年的美国十佳商学院中,布斯商学院的申请人数增幅最大:约增加了10%。申请人数的增加使它有条件挑剔,而它今年最终录取率仅有21%。今年新生的GMAT平均分为730分,首次与哈佛商学院打成平手。
在2008届毕业生中进行的MBA课程投资回报率排名调查中,布斯商学院名列第二位,仅次于斯坦福大学商学院。鉴于布斯商学院最负盛名的是金融行业的相关课程,而在经济危机期间,金融行业是受到的冲击最为严重,尤其对2008届毕业生而言更是沉重的打击,这个结果令人大感意外。尽管如此,该学院毕业生的平均工资在五年内增长了92,600美元,高于哈佛商学院的79,600美元和沃顿商学院(Wharton)的74,400美元。

3.  Univ. of Chicago - Booth
• Index: 98.9
• Average GMAT: 723
• Acceptance rate: 21%
• 2013 median base salary: $115,000
Chicago Booth ranked third on Poets&Quants' list for the fourth consecutive year and continued to build on its formidable momentum. Among the top 10 U.S. business schools, Booth reported the largest increase in applications this year: a near 10% increase. The increased volume allowed the school to be quite selective, admitting only 21% of its applicant pool. The median GMAT score for the incoming class this year was 730, matching Harvard Business School for the very first time.
When grads from the class of 2008 were surveyed for a return-on-investment ranking of MBA programs, Booth turned up second, behind only Stanford University's Graduate School of Business. It was a surprising showing, particularly given Booth's reputation for its educational offerings in finance, which was among the most damaged sectors during the Great Recession and was particularly punishing to class of 2008 grads. Yet, Chicago alumni reported five-year gains in average salary of $92,600, well above Harvard's $79,600 or Wharton's $74,400.

3.jpg
4. 宾夕法尼亚大学——沃顿商学院
• 得分:98.2
• GMAT平均分:725
• 录取率:22%
沃顿商学院出现了什么问题?实际上,问题并不严重。但两个月前《华尔街日报》(Wall Street Journal)的一篇文章却指出,沃顿商学院近几年落后于竞争对手,还说沃顿商学院过去四年的申请人数减少了12%,在商学院中的排名多年来也在持续下滑。几家MBA入学咨询公司也赞同这种观点,称随着市场从沃顿商学院的核心优势——金融领域,向科技与创业领域转变,沃顿商学院正在慢慢褪去昔日的光环。
然而,今年沃顿商学院毕业生的就业情况却创下了学院的历史记录。今年,沃顿商学院约97.8%的毕业生在毕业前三个月便收到了工作邀请,高于去年的95.5%,而平均基本工资也达到了125,000美元,比2012年上涨了5,000美元。
沃顿商学院今年的新生或许也是它有史以来最优秀的一届——至少从GMAT平均分来看是这样。2015届学生的GMAT平均分达到了创纪录的725分,比前一年提高了7分。与其他许多商学院不同的是,在女性招生比例中,沃顿商学院一直走在前列,远远高于哈佛商学院或斯坦福大学商学院。沃顿商学院今年的新生有42%为女性。

4.  Univ. of Pennsylvania - Wharton
• Index: 98.2
• Average GMAT: 725
• Acceptance rate: 22%
What's wrong with Wharton? Not very much, to tell the truth. Yet a Wall Street Journalstory two months ago suggested that Wharton has fallen behind rivals in recent years, pointing out that applications have dropped 12% in the past four years along with a years-long decline in business school rankings. Several MBA admissions consultants reinforced the story line, saying that Wharton's luster had faded as the market has shifted away from the school's core strength in finance toward technology and entrepreneurship.
Yet MBA graduates from Wharton this year had one of the best placement records in the school's history. Some 97.8% of the class had job offers three months after graduation, up from 95.5% a year earlier, and median base salaries rose to $125,000, up $5,000 from 2012.
This year's entering class at Wharton, moreover, is arguably its best ever -- at least as judged by average GMAT scores. The 725 average GMAT score for the class of 2015 is a record and seven points higher than the previous year. And unlike many other business schools, Wharton has led the way by enrolling record percentages of women, higher than either Harvard or Stanford. This year, 42% of the entering class is made up of women.

1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:56:55
6.jpg
5. 西北大学——凯洛格商学院
• 得分:96.0
• GMAT平均分:715
• 录取率:22.9%
凯洛格商学院(Kellogg)院长萨丽•布朗特曾在纽约大学(New York University)斯特恩商学院(Stern School)负责商学专业的本科生课程。凯洛格商学院在她的带领下正在朝着积极的方向发展。学院近期开始动工修建一座超现代化的新校园,届时,在新校园将可以欣赏到密歇根湖和芝加哥天际线的壮丽景色。凯洛格商学院预计2016年末就会搬进这个占地410,000平方英尺的全球中心。
布朗特给凯洛格商学院带来的改变还不止如此,其他变化还包括:更加重视为商学专业本科生提供的一年制MBA课程,大刀阔斧地对学院的创业学教授方式进行改革,以及一个新的营销活动,督促凯洛格的毕业生们“勇敢地思考”。这些改良举措需要筹集3.5亿美元的资金,布朗特目前距离这个目标还有一半的距离。
今年,凯洛格商学院首次在录取过程中增加了视频环节,要求申请人通过网络摄像头回答随机提出的问题。

5.  Northwestern-Kellogg
• Index: 96.0
• Average GMAT: 715
• Acceptance rate: 22.9%
Under Dean Sally Blount, who was recruited from New York University's Stern School, where she led the undergraduate business program, Kellogg is pushing forward in remarkably positive ways. The school recently broke ground on a new ultra-modern home with dramatic vistas of Lake Michigan and Chicago's skyline. Kellogg expects to move into the 410,000 square foot global hub in late 2016.
It's the latest in a series of changes at Kellogg under Blount, including a greater emphasis on its one-year MBA program for business undergraduates, dramatic improvements in the way the school is teaching entrepreneurship, and a new marketing campaign that challenges Kellogg's grads to "think bravely." To fund the improvements, Blount is half way toward reaching the finish line of a $350 million capital campaign.
This year, for the first time ever, the school added a video component to its admissions process, requiring applicants to answer random questions on webcam.

5.jpg

6. 麻省理工学院斯隆商学院
• 得分:94.2
• GMAT平均分:713
• 录取率:15.2%
• 2013年平均基本工资:118,500美元
麻省理工学院(MIT)斯隆商学院(Sloan)的两年制MBA课程,包括案例研究、团队项目、课堂授课、真实案例讨论、与行业领袖互动,以及实际操作实验室课程。通过第一学期的核心课程,学生将为在MIT斯隆商学院的学习打好基础。通过与五六位同学合作完成经济学、会计、管理沟通、商业策略和组织流程等必修课程的作业(以及战略营销或金融等选修课程),学生将掌握关键的技能。

6.  MIT Sloan

• Index: 94.2
• Average GMAT: 713
• Acceptance rate: 15.2%
• 2013 median base salary: $118,500
MIT Sloan's two-year MBA Program is comprised of a combination of case studies, team projects, lectures, live case discussions, interactions with industry leaders, and hands-on lab classes. Throughout the first-semester core curriculum, students build the foundation of their MIT Sloan education. Working with a team of five or six classmates, they gain skills through required course work in economics, accounting, managerial communication, business statistics, and organizational processes (as well as an elective in either strategic marketing or finance).

1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 09:58:57
8.jpg
7. 哥伦比亚大学
• 得分:93.7
• GMAT平均分:716
• 录取率:18.1%
• 2013年平均基本工资:110,000美元
领导力。创新。创业。这些毫无疑问都是MBA领域里的流行词,也是哥伦比亚大学商学院(Columbia)新核心课程的三个关键组成部分。哥伦比亚大学商学院在今年秋天为2015届新生重新设计了课程。
这所商学院曾在2009年对课程进行过一次修订,以应对金融危机给商业环境带来的变化。最新核心课程推出之前,学院刚刚完成了一次非常成功的募资活动,为兴建新校园募得5亿至6亿美元。预计新校园将于2018年初投入使用。
最近的一些变化包括,哥伦比亚大学商学院将把课程的一些技术部分在线教授,拿出更多教学时间进行更深入的讨论。此外,它还将增加选修课的数量,学生可以在第一年选修这些课程,帮助他们在暑假实习期间,给雇主留下更深刻的印象。

7.  Columbia

• Index: 93.7
• Average GMAT: 716
• Acceptance rate: 18.1%
• 2013 median base salary: $110,000
Leadership. Innovation. Entrepreneurship. All popular buzzwords in MBA programs, for sure, and three of the key ingredients in a newly redesigned core curriculum Columbia has rolled out this fall for its incoming class of 2015.
The school's curriculum was last redesigned in 2009 to respond to the changing business environment wrought by the financial crisis. The new core comes on top of a highly successful fundraising campaign that has raised $500 million toward the $600 million cost of a new campus for the school, which is expected to open in early 2018.
Among the latest changes, Columbia will now teach some technical components of courses online to free up more classroom time for deeper discussion. The school will also increase the number of electives students can take in the first year to allow them to make a stronger impression on employers during their summer internships.

7.jpg

8. 达特茅斯大学塔克商学院
• 得分:93.6
• GMAT平均分:719
• 录取率:20.8%
小。气氛融洽。默契和协作。说起在达特茅斯大学(Dartmouth)塔克商学院(Tuck School of Business)攻读MBA的经历,学生们都会这么形容。塔克商学院位于偏远的新罕布什尔州汉诺威市。学院的学生和教授的关系非常融洽。这所学校宣布,连续第三年有超过70%的校友为学院捐款。这是非常了不起的成就,因为在前20家商学院中,校友捐款比例仅有20%左右。
有关校友网络对学校的忠诚度如何,以及他们是否愿意帮助在校生,参与率通常都是最直观、最有效的指标。塔克商学院毕业生们的慷慨一方面反映了MBA学生在两年学习期间,彼此之间和与学校之间建立起的亲密关系。同时,这也是一种世界级的募资方式,即积极调动校友,让捐款带上了某种竞赛的味道。塔克商学院招生主管多纳•克拉克说:“塔克商学院的校友们对于学院的感情就像人们对第一个孩子的感情一样。”

8.  Dartmouth - Tuck
• Index: 93.6
• Average GMAT: 719
• Acceptance rate: 20.8%
Small. Intimate. Cozy and collaborative. That is how students describe the MBA experience at Dartmouth's Tuck School of Business in rural Hanover, N.H., where students and professors get to know each other remarkably well. The school announced that for the third consecutive year, more than 70% of its alumni have contributed money to the school. That's quite an achievement, considering the average alumni giving rate for a top 20 business school is about 20%.
The participation rate is often considered the best and most visible sign of the alumni network's loyalty to the school and its willingness to help current students. The generosity of Tuck's alumni reflects, in part, the strong bonds MBA students make with each other and the school during their two-year MBA experience. But it's also a reflection of a world-class fundraising operation that heavily involves alumni and makes giving something of a competition. "Tuck alums feel as strongly about the school as people do to their first-born children," says Dawna Clarke, director of admissions.

1770309616 发表于 2013-12-19 10:00:46
10.jpg
9. 杜克大学——福库商学院
• 得分:92.8
• GMAT平均分:694
• 录取率:26%
• 2013年平均基本工资:110,000美元
杜克大学(Duke)可以自豪地宣称,它为全世界最著名的高管之一提供过MBA教育:苹果公司(Apple)CEO蒂姆•库克——已故史蒂夫•乔布斯钦点的继任者。面对这样的“活广告”,其他学院也只能羡慕嫉妒恨了。
近几年,学院在MBA毕业生与求贤若渴的世界级公司之间成功地架起了一座桥梁。前往福库商学院(Fuqua)招聘的公司的广泛性和多样性是学生质量的最好证明,也是对学院工作的最大认可。这也解释了福库商学院为什么在今年的排名中上升了一个名次。

9.  Duke - Fuqua
• Index: 92.8
• Average GMAT: 694
• Acceptance rate: 26%
• 2013 median base salary: $110,000
Duke can lay claim to providing the MBA education for one of the most famous executives in the world: Apple CEO Tim Cook, the late Steve Jobs' handpicked successor. No school could get a better living advertisement for itself.
In recent years, the school has had great success at matching its MBA graduates with world-class companies seeking the best and brightest. The breadth and diversity of recruiters coming to Fuqua is a testament to the quality of its students and what the school does with them. That helps explain how Fuqua moved up one spot on this year's ranking.

9.jpg

10. 加州大学伯克利分校——哈斯商学院
• 得分:92.0
• GMAT平均分:714
• 录取率:13.9%(估算)
曾有内部人士开玩笑说,加州大学伯克利分校(UC Berkeley)的哈斯商学院(Haas School)是嬉皮士们的商学院。这虽然是一句戏言,却用一种戏谑的方式表明,哈斯商学院是最难进的商学院之一。如果你对科技、创业和创新感兴趣,哈斯商学院是攻读MBA最优秀的商学院之一。
哈斯商学院的MBA课程招生很挑剔,每年秋天只招收240名全日制MBA学生的小班,共设12门必修课,旨在培养综合管理观念,为未来更有针对性的课程提供一个框架。课程第一年分成四个部分。核心课程为商业基础,包括营销、金融和会计。
两年前,这所学院进行了一次重要的课程改革,开始更加注重领导力。改革对现有的两门核心课程——领导学和领导力沟通——进行了修改,以培养更多领导技能,如影响他人的能力。此外添加了另外一门核心课程——“找出问题,解决问题”,以提供学院认为“在传统MBA教育中缺失的基本技能”。
Poets&Quants的综合排名结合了全球五大最具影响力的商学院排名:彭博社《商业周刊》、《经济学人》、《金融时报》、福布斯和《美国新闻与世界报道》,对每一份排名根据其权威性和可信度进行加权平均计算。《商业周刊》、福布斯和《美国新闻与世界报道》所占的比重分别占25%,《金融时报》占15%,《经济学人》占10%。

10.  UC Berkeley - Haas
• Index: 92.0
• Average GMAT: 714
• Acceptance rate: 13.9% (estimate)
The insiders joke that Berkeley's Haas School is the business school for hippies. That's never been the case, but it's a quaint way to refer to one of the hardest schools in the world to get into. If you're interested in tech, entrepreneurship, and innovation, Haas is one of the best schools in the world to get an MBA.
The highly selective program, which enrolls a small class of 240 full-time MBAs each fall, is anchored by 12 required courses that promote a general management perspective and provide a framework for the more specific courses that follow. The first year of the program is divided into four quarters. The core curriculum is rooted in business fundamentals, including marketing, finance, and accounting.
Two years ago, the school made significant curriculum changes to focus more on leadership. In the overhaul, a pair of existing core courses, Leading People and Leadership Communications, had been restructured to offer additional leadership skills, such as the ability to influence others. And a new course called "Problem Finding, Problem Solving" was added to the core to address what the school considers "underlying skill sets that are missing in a typical MBA education."
Poets&Quants' composite ranking combines the five most influential business school rankings in the world: Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Economist, The Financial Times, Forbes, and U.S. News & World Report. Each ranking is weighted to account for their authority and credibility. BusinessWeek, Forbes, and U.S. News lists are given a weight of 25% each, while the FT is given a 15% weight, and The Economist is given a 10% weight.

bubifengyun 发表于 2013-12-21 14:33:57
看到上海这几天雾霾,顿时感觉那边的环境很好啊。能活在清新的空气中真好。比汪峰总是埋在春天里好多了。
您需要登录后才可以发表评论 登录 | 立即注册

厂商推荐

关于我们  -  服务条款  -  使用指南  -  站点地图  -  友情链接  -  联系我们
电子工程网 © 版权所有   京ICP备16069177号 | 京公网安备11010502021702
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表