从业背景复杂的求职者如何打造清晰的简历

发布时间:2013-11-24 09:11    发布者:1770309616
关键词: 求职 , 简历
        现代人大多从事过好几份工作,不过,如果你正在寻求转行,如何在简历中有效地组织过往的从业经历就必须分外慎重,因为东拼西凑的无关工作很难把你推销给未来的雇主。秘诀在于掌握取舍的艺术。

亲爱的安妮:我已经三十出头,从事过四份管理工作,你也许会把我做的这些工作称为“协调者”。这些工作彼此千差万别,涉及不同的行业——包括电子商务、公关和活动策划——但是我在每个行业都做出了不错的成绩,把三家小企业和一家大公司从崩溃的边缘挽救回来,获得了巨大的成功。

幸运的是,我在目前生活的城市建立了良好声誉,雇主纷纷找上门来,为我提供新的就业机会。然而,我却考虑搬到美国另一边的某个城市,我在那里人生地不熟,由于我的工作经验丰富多样,我很难向公司解释清楚我能做些什么。你能否给我点建议,如何打造一份条理清晰的简历?——做过三个行当的杰克

亲爱的杰克:值得一提的是,很多人和你有相似的经历。经济衰退让很多员工丢掉了他们原来的工作,在毫不相干的领域担任了新的职位。只有找到工作,他们才能付账单,这让拥有各种各样工作经验的人很难整理出一份清晰明了的简历。不仅如此,还有千禧一代,这些人数众多的求职者只比你年轻几岁,无论经济形势如何,他们出了名的爱跳槽,每隔几年都会换个工作。

纽约职业顾问罗伯特•赫尔曼说:“我总是会听到如何包装各种工作经验的问题,这些人通常在20多岁的时候就尝试了许多不同的工作,希望找到他们的理想职业。”通过全国职业咨询网站“五点钟俱乐部”(The Five O'Clock Club),他为摩根大通银行(JP Morgan Chase)、纽约联邦储备银行(the Federal Reserve Bank of New York)、美国运通(American Express)和其他公司的经理人提供了咨询服务。

“有些人在某个领域做过各种工作,不过他现在想换个职业,从事完全不同的工作。在写简历的过程中,以前工作经验就会成为他们的挑战,”赫尔曼补充道——包括他现在的几位客户,他们都渴望离开华尔街。

关键问题在于弄清楚你现在想做什么工作,然后采取相应的行动,量身定制自己的简历。赫尔曼说:“如果你为下一步行动设定了明确的目标,那么行动起来就会变得很容易。”这是因为“你的简历和求职信不必长篇累牍地描述你从事过的每份工作,而是侧重于你可以为未来的雇主做什么,只强调你和这份工作直接相关的经验。”

赫尔曼指出:“人们普遍的错误是在简历上堆砌所有的工作经验,让老板去判断这份简历是否合适。麻烦的是,老板才不会这么做。我们必须为他们整理好简历。”

赫尔曼表示,如果你决定自己想要从事哪种工作,那么在简历的开头撰写有力的摘要段落,只描述与此相关的工作经验。赫尔曼说:“这段文字也将作为你的求职信、你的两分钟‘快速演讲’和你在工作面试中谈话的核心内容。然后,在简历的正文部分,略去那些和你想从事工作无关的内容。”

比如,赫尔曼有位咨询客户为一家房地产公司工作,他的职责主要是“保证租户按时支付租金”,但是他想成为一名金融分析师。“他非常喜欢在大学里攻读的金融分析课程,他获得了优异的学术成绩,包括他研究的项目还赢得了几个奖项,”赫尔曼说。“因此我们围绕这些项目撰写了简历,强调他大约20%的房地产工作涉及到金融分析领域。”这位客户最终得到了金融分析师的工作。

Dear Annie: I'm in my mid-30s and have had four management jobs where I've been what you might call a "fixer." The jobs have been vastly different from each other, in different industries -- including e-commerce, public relations, and event planning -- but I've produced great results at each of them, taking three small businesses and one large one from the brink of collapse to great success.

Luckily, my reputation has gotten around in the city where I live now, and employers have sought me out with new opportunities. But I'm considering a move to another city on the other side of the country, where I'm an unknown quantity, and since my experience is so varied, I'm having difficulty explaining to companies there what it is that I do, exactly. Can you give me any pointers on how to build a resume that ties it all together? -- Jack of 3 Trades

Dear Jack: For what it's worth, you've got plenty of company. The recession bumped lots of people out of their old jobs and into new roles in unrelated fields. Taking any work they could get to pay the bills has left these folks with an assortment of experience that can be hard to tie together into a tidy narrative. Not only that, but millennials, that vast cohort just a few years your junior, are notorious for changing jobs every couple of years no matter what the economy is doing.

"I hear questions about how to 'package' a variety of jobs all the time, often from people in their 20s who have tried out lots of different things in hopes of finding their niche," says Robert Hellmann, a New York City career coach. Partly through national career-development network The Five O'Clock Club, he has counseled managers at JP Morgan Chase (JPM), the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, American Express (AXP), and elsewhere.

"Writing a resume that works can also be a challenge for people who have moved around a bit within one field, but who now want to change careers and do something else entirely," Hellmann adds -- including several of his current clients who aspire to quit Wall Street.

The key is to figure out what it is that you want to do now and then tailor your resume accordingly. "Once you've set a clear goal for your next move, getting there becomes much easier," Hellmann says. That's because "your resume and cover letter do not have to be a literal description of every job you've ever had. Instead, focus on what you can do for each prospective employer and emphasize only the aspects of your experience that are directly relevant."

Hellmann notes that "the usual mistake people make is to throw all their experience out there and leave it up to employers to figure out how it fits. The trouble is, they won't. You have to do that for them."

Once you've decided what kind of job you want, Hellmann says, write a strong summary paragraph for the top of your resume that describes only those parts of your experience that relate to it. "That paragraph will also be the core of your cover letter, your two-minute 'elevator speech,' and what you talk about in job interviews," Hellmann says. "Then, in the body of the resume, filter out anything that doesn't connect to the job you're trying to get."

For example, one of Hellmann's coaching clients worked for a real estate firm, mostly "making sure tenants paid their rent on time," but he wanted to be a financial analyst. "He really liked the financial analysis courses he took in college, and he excelled at them, including winning a couple of awards for projects he had worked on," Hellmann says. "So we wrote a resume around those projects and highlighted the roughly 20% of his real estate job that involved financial analysis." The client got a financial analyst job.

另一位客户当了四年的老师,然后当了十年的心理医生,然而她想投身销售领域。这位客户和赫尔曼共同撰写了简历,“只有一行提到了四年的教学生涯,这样不会在她的工作履历上出现空白。不过简历主要强调市场营销和自我宣传方面,这是任何自雇人士必需的能力,”赫尔曼回忆道。“她成功地为自己的治疗工作打造了良好的口碑,她的客户群在过去两年中增长了33%。因此,在她申请销售工作的简历中,她强调了这一点,而且描述了她的具体做法。”她最终得到了录用,成为了一名销售人员。

当然,鉴于你希望搬到另一座城市生活,那里没有人知道你此前的职业成就,这让问题显得更为复杂。不过你可以提前奠定基础——包括在你收拾行李前,有选择地积累远方的人脉——你可以确定那边的工作机会。社交媒体,尤其是商务社交媒体LinkedIn 和Twitter,在这方面会特别有帮助,不过别忽视你所在城市的拥趸,他们可能认识你目标城市里的实权派。请他们为你推荐,也许你下份工作就成功了一半。祝你好运!

反馈:你曾经在不同的领域寻找工作,或者向潜在的雇主解释复杂的工作经验吗?哪些做法对你有用?请在下面发表评论。(财富中文网)

译者:孟洁冰  

Another client had been a teacher for four years and then a psychotherapist for over a decade, but wanted to go into sales. She and Hellmann wrote a resume with "just a one-line place-holder for those four years of teaching, so there wouldn't be a gap in her work history. But the main emphasis was on the marketing and self-promotion that any self-employed person has to do," Hellmann recalls. "She had succeeded in building enough buzz for her therapy practice that she grew her client base by 33% over two years. So, in her resume for sales jobs, she highlighted that and described how she did it." She got hired as a salesperson.

Of course, the fact that you're hoping to move to a different city where no one knows what you've accomplished does complicate matters a bit. But by laying some groundwork ahead of time -- including doing some selective long-distance networking before you pack your bags -- you can identify opportunities from afar. Social media, especially LinkedIn and Twitter, can be especially helpful for this purpose, but don't overlook the possibility that your fans in your current city might know some movers and shakersin the town you're going to. Ask them to recommend you, and you may be halfway to your next gig. Good luck.

Talkback: Have you ever looked for a job in a different field, or tried to explain a mixed bag of experience to a potential employer? What worked for you? Leave a comment below.

本文地址:https://www.eechina.com/thread-123683-1-1.html     【打印本页】

本站部分文章为转载或网友发布,目的在于传递和分享信息,并不代表本网赞同其观点和对其真实性负责;文章版权归原作者及原出处所有,如涉及作品内容、版权和其它问题,我们将根据著作权人的要求,第一时间更正或删除。
1770309616 发表于 2013-11-24 09:13:27
美国退籍者与日俱增

就在中国富裕人群掀起了赴美生子、投资移民热潮同时,美国周三公布的政府数据显示,今年退籍的美国公民数量将达到历史最高点。

1.jpg

已经到了扔掉美国护照的时候了——这样的的话,令人讨厌的税负也应该会随之而去。国际税务律师指出,人们这样做的原因和海外逃税没有太大的关系,更多的则是因为出现了一种新的税务规划,它成熟而且合法。

美国周三公布的政府数据显示,今年退籍的美国公民数量将达到历史最高点。据蒂娜•特纳的女发言人透露,就连这位摇滚明星也要和美国脱离关系。特纳已经在瑞士居住了很长时间,去年4月份彻底成为瑞士公民。

《联邦公报》(Federal Register)公布的美国财政部数据显示,今年第三季度申请退籍的美国人约有560人,这让今年以来的退籍总人数达到了2369人,已经比2011年1781人的前历史纪录高了33%。

今年上半年的退籍人数已经略高于2011年的水平,最新数字则充分证明了退籍人数增多的趋势。

退籍能大量减轻税负,原因是世界上只有两个国家对公民在全球范围内的收入征税,而不考虑他们在哪里居住和工作,其中一个国家就是美国,另一个是厄立特里亚。举例来说,在日内瓦居住的美国公民仍须按自己在当地的收入向美国税务部门缴纳所得税。

特纳本名安娜•梅•布洛克,她并没有出现在《联邦公报》的最新退籍人员名单上。但特纳的女发言人卡琳•龙伯格在电子邮件中证实,这位发行过《Private Dancer》和《Simply the Best》等专辑的歌手正在办理退籍手续。

龙伯格说,特纳已经在去年4月份完全获得瑞士公民身份。现年73岁的特纳出生在田纳西州纳特布什,现在和她出生在德国的丈夫生活在屈斯纳赫特,一座靠近苏黎世的富裕小镇。

近年来,美国的退籍人数出现了跳跃式增长,原因是通过瑞士和采用瑞士风格经营的银行在海外避税的行为越来越多地受到了美国政府的打击。甚至连美国驻伯尔尼大使馆都在其网站上将“退籍”列为服务项目之一。
    移民律师指出,许多退籍人士都有另外一个国籍,比如瑞士或加拿大。美国财政部一条名为“Fatca”的新规定正在让越来越多的中小型外国银行将在当地居住和工作的美国人拒之门外。

Time to dump your American passport -- and with it, presumably, your bothersome U.S. tax bill. The reason, international tax lawyers say, may have less to do with offshore tax evasion and more with a new generation of sophisticated -- and legal -- tax planning.

This year will enter the record books with the highest number of expatriations ever by U.S. citizens, according to new government figures released Wednesday. Even rock star Tina Turner, a long-time resident of Switzerland who got a full Swiss passport last April, is on track to relinquish her U.S. ties, her spokeswoman said.

Some 560 Americans joined the exodus in the third quarter of this year, putting the total number so far this year at 2,369, according to Treasury Department data published by the Federal Register. That is already 33% more than the 1,781 who left in all of 2011, the previous record.

While the number of people who gave up their little blue books in the first six months of this year had already edged out the 2011 record by a hair, the recent figures firmly cement the trend.

Ditching a passport can save an American lots of money in taxes. The reason: The U.S., along with Eritrea, is one of only two countries in the world to tax its citizens on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live or work. If you reside in, say, Geneva, you still owe the U.S. tax man money on income you earn there.

Turner's name -- her birth name is Anna Mae Bullock -- does not appear on the most recent Federal Register list. But Karin Rhomberg, a spokeswoman for Turner, confirmed in an email that the "Private Dancer" and "Simply the Best" singer was on track to relinquish her U.S. passport.

Turner acquired a full Swiss passport last April, Rhomberg said. At 73, the singer, who was born in Nutbush, Tenn., lives in Kussnacht, a wealthy enclave near Zurich, with her German-born husband.

The expatriation trend has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years amid a widening U.S. crackdown on offshore tax evasion through Swiss and Swiss-style banks. Even the U.S. Embassy in Bern has a "renunciations" tab on its website.

Many of those who dump their passports have dual citizenships in other countries, such as Switzerland or Canada, immigration lawyers say. But increasingly, an onerous new U.S. Treasury rule known as Fatca is prompting smaller and mid-sized foreign banks in countries where Americans live and work to dump their American clients.

这条规定将于明年7月份生效,它要求外国银行找出并仔细检查金额不低于5万美元(30.675万元人民币)的美国客户账户,然后将这些账户的情况报告给美国税务部门,或者预扣30%的分红、利息等收入并将这笔资金交给美国财政部。在国外居住和工作的美国人都很讨厌这条规定,它让简单的海外资金操作变得困难了起来。

加利福尼亚州帕萨迪纳市国际税务律师菲尔•霍金在游说机构American Citizens Abroad担任执行董事。该组织设在日内瓦,代表的是在其他国家和地区居住和工作的美国人。霍金指出:“当地银行不喜欢和美国人打交道,这让身在海外的美国人更难正常地生活。”最近他在电子邮件中表示,许多国家和地区都会把“需要合法银行服务的美国人挡在门外”。

由此出现了一种新的趋势:在不征收遗产税的国家开展私人生意而且拥有双重国籍的美国人纷纷放弃他们的美国国籍。

霍金说:“美国人开始意识到,就算自己的生意从来不和美国沾边,它也有可能毁在美国的遗产税手里。”他举了个例子,一个拥有双重国籍的人在沙特开了一家建筑公司。由于他是美国公民,如果他想把自己的公司留给子女,就得缴纳40%的遗产税,这同样会让他的子女感到吃惊。

霍金预计:“将有为数众多的美国人看到这一点。”(财富中文网)

译者:Charlie

The rule, which goes into effect next July, requires foreign banks to identify and scrutinize Americans with accounts containing at least $50,000 and either report those accounts to U.S. tax authorities or withhold 30% of dividends, interest, and other payments and send that money to the U.S. Treasury. The law, widely hated by Americans living and working abroad, has made it tough to do simple financial things abroad.

"Local banks don't like dealing with Americans, so it makes it harder for Americans abroad to live normal lives," said Phil Hodgen, an international tax lawyer in Pasadena, Calif. Marylouise Serrato, the executive director of American Citizens Abroad, a Geneva-based lobby for expats, said recently in an email that "individuals with legitimate need of banking services will be locked out" of many foreign countries.

One new trend has emerged: U.S. passport renunciations by dual nationals who build family businesses in other countries that do not have estate taxes.

"Americans are realizing that their businesses are likely to be torn apart by the U.S. estate tax even if that business never touched the U.S.," Hodgen said, citing as an example a dual citizen who owns a construction company in Saudi Arabia. An owner who wants to pass his company on to his heirs will also sock them with a 40% estate-tax bill, due to his U.S. citizenship.

"You're going to see tons of people waking up to this," Hodgen said.

1770309616 发表于 2013-11-24 09:15:24
职场老兵怎样找到新工作?

50至60岁的人在打算求职的时候,经常会因为担心年龄偏见而畏手畏脚。但现在,经验丰富的管理者很有市场,充分证明:经验是王道。因此,高龄求职者在找工作的时候可以充分强调这个优势。

亲爱的安妮:您和您的读者能否考虑一下我的现况。我在一家《财富》500强公司(Fortune 500 )工作了20多年,期间不断得到升职。2008年,我带领一个小部门扭亏为盈,之后我就一直在负责那个部门的工作。但现在,作为公司重组的一部分,我的部门将与另外一个部门合并。公司给了我一笔非常慷慨的退休金,我也很愿意接受,可我现在还不想退休。我如今才61岁,身体非常健康,我感觉至少还能坚持以高效率工作10到15年。
    但我担心的是,潜在雇主们会这么想吗?有人说,我“比实际年龄要年轻”(当然,这肯定是言不由衷的恭维话),我还有市场吗?有些日期是否不应该出现在我的简历中——比如我的毕业年份?您对此有什么建议吗?——SK
    亲爱的SK:猎头公司Witt/Kieffer的总裁兼CEO查尔斯•沃德尔认为:“只要你擅长自己的工作,年龄就不是问题。看看巴菲特。他已经82岁了,可没有人说他应该退休。”确实如此。伯克希尔-哈撒韦(Berkshire-Hathaway)的投资人和其他人或许都恨不得能克隆出另一个巴菲特来。
    Witt/Kieffer公司的猎头们发现,雇主对于拥有几十年成功履历的管理者的需求日益增加。比如:在2012年,公司安置的CEO约有14%超过60岁,比十年前增加了3%。高管方面的比例也基本相同:13%的人超过60岁,而2002年仅有3%。
    这种巨大的变化并非意外。据美国劳工统计局(Bureau of Labor Statistics)最近的统计数据显示,美国失业率随着年龄增长而呈下降趋势。上个月,25至34岁年龄段的失业率为7.6%;35至40岁为5.9%;45至54岁为5.7%。而55岁以上年龄段的失业率为5.3%,是所有年龄段中的最低水平。
    当然,如今的水平远远高于危机之前的2007年,当时55岁及以上年龄段的失业率仅有3.1%。但从另一方面来看,将这一水平与应届毕业生(20至24岁)的情况进行对比,我们就可以证明一点:经验才是王道。应届毕业生失业率高达惊人的13.5%。
    你能带领一个有问题的部门扭亏为盈,这在任何时候都是一个非常好的卖点。沃德尔认为,这一点在当前动荡不安的经济形势下尤其可贵。因此,你的求职过程肯定会一帆风顺,只要你做到小心谨慎。首先,从当前公司争取到愿意为你的成就作担保的推荐人:“在你这个水平,同事和上司的强力推荐至关重要。”
    其次,沃德尔建议,在与招聘人员和雇主交流时,“明确每一位雇主的需要以及自己的技能如何满足这些需要。关键是要确定,你能为新岗位带来的东西,正是雇主们所需要的。”拿出时间和精力来找到最适合的岗位,可以避免招聘经理们给出“条件太好”这样的评价。

Dear Annie: I wonder what you and your readers think about my situation. After 20-plus years rising through the ranks at a Fortune 500 company, I turned around a small division and made it profitable in 2008, and have been running it since then. Now my business unit is being merged with a different operation, as part of a restructuring. I've been offered a very generous retirement package, and I'm willing to take it, but I'm nowhere near ready to stop working. At 61, and in excellent health, I feel I have at least 10 or 15 highly productive years ahead of me.
    My concern is, will potential employers agree? I've been told I "don't look my age" (a backhanded compliment, for sure), but how marketable am I? Should I leave dates off my resume -- the year I graduated from college, for instance? Do you have any advice for me? -- Still Kicking
    Dear SK: "If you're good at what you do, age isn't an issue," says Charles Wardell, president and CEO of executive search firm Witt/Kieffer. "Look at Warren Buffett. He's 82, and nobody's saying he should head out to pasture." True. Berkshire-Hathaway (BRKA) investors, among others, probably wish they could clone him.
    At Witt/Kieffer, headhunters are finding that employers increasingly want managers with a decades-long track record of success. Consider: In 2012, about 14% of the CEOs the firm placed were over age 60, up from 3% a decade earlier. For C-suite jobs overall, the figures were about the same: 13% over age 60 vs. 3% in 2002.
    Those big jumps are no fluke. According to the latest stats from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment declines with age. Last month, the jobless rate stood at 7.6% for 25-to-34-year-olds; 5.9% for ages 35 to 44; and 5.7% for the 45-to-54-year-old cohort. The jobless rate for people 55 and up, at 5.3%, was the lowest of any age group.
    Granted, that's much higher than the unemployment rate for people 55 and older in pre-recession 2007 -- a tiny 3.1%. But on the other hand, for proof that experience is king, contrast that current 5.3% with the rate for new college grads (ages 20-24): a whopping 13.5%.
    Since you turned around a troubled division -- a highly marketable skill anytime, but especially in this still-shaky economy -- your job hunt should be pretty smooth sailing, as long as you approach it with care, Wardell says. First, line up references at your current company who will vouch for your achievements: "At your level, strong recommendations from colleagues and higher-ups are crucial."
    Then, when you speak with recruiters and employers, "get very specific about what each employer needs and how your skills fit," Wardell suggests. "The key is to make sure that what you bring to the job is exactly what they're looking for." Putting in the time and attention to find precisely the right fit can prevent hiring managers from bringing up the dreaded "O" word (for "overqualified").

沃德尔表示,要想进入自己确实希望工作的公司,就别太在意职务或薪酬下调:“过于关注职务是错误的。副总裁、董事或其他职务,谁在乎呢?如果一家公司给出的年薪比你现在的岗位少了几千块,也不要把这一点看的太过重要。你永远不知道在十八个月过后,当你抓住机会证明了自己的能力之后,你的职务和薪酬会达到怎样的水平。”
    对于是否应该在简历上对某些日期撒谎,或者直接避而不谈,沃德尔认为不能。他说:“现在的许多雇主都认为年龄是优势,所以没有理由隐瞒。坦率承认自己的年龄,然后把重点放在你能为这份工作带来哪些竞争对手无法提供的东西,不论他们是几零后。”
    沃德尔的建议都来自他的亲身经历。他是一位载誉而归的越战老兵,在职业早期曾在美国运通(American Express)、花旗集团(Citi)等公司担任管理职位。2011年,66岁的沃德尔成为Witt/Kieffer公司的最高领导人。他说:“其他候选人都比我年轻,但我却被选中了。”你同样可以做到。
    反馈:如果你是55岁或55岁以上,你认为自己在求职过程中遇到过年龄歧视吗?如果你最近更换了工作,是什么让你成功跳槽?欢迎评论。(财富中文网)

译者:刘进龙/汪皓

Don't worry if you have to take a step down in title or pay to get a foot in the door at a company where you really want to work, Wardell says: "It's a mistake to get hung up on titles. Vice president, director, or some other title, who cares? And if the starting pay a company offers is a few thousand dollars a year less than you've been earning in your current position, don't make that a sticking point, either. You never know where you'll be, in both rank and compensation, 18 months down the road when you've had a chance to show what you can do."
    As for whether you should fudge the dates on your resume, or leave them off altogether, Wardell says not. "So many employers consider age to be an advantage now, there's no reason to hide it," he notes. "Be very upfront about it, and then focus the discussion on what you bring to the job that competing candidates -- whatever their date of birth -- may not be able to offer."
    Wardell speaks from firsthand experience, by the way. A decorated Vietnam veteran who held management jobs at American Express (AXP), Citi (C), and elsewhere earlier in his career, he was 66 when he got the top job at Witt/Kieffer in 2011. "I was picked over other, much younger candidates," Wardell says. You can be, too.
    Talkback: If you're 55 or older, do you believe you've encountered age bias in a job search? If you've changed jobs recently, what helped you get hired? Leave a comment below.

1770309616 发表于 2013-11-24 09:17:52
跳槽马如何争取起薪大升级

跳槽之后能不能通过谈判争取更高的起薪?资深猎头认为,这是有希望的。但是,应聘者需要精心准备,提前多做一些练习,更重要的是,要为谈判设定正确的基调。

亲爱的安妮:我读过你写的关于如何要求加薪的文章,但假如有另外一家你一直非常期待的公司给你发来了工作邀请,但他们给的工资达不到你所期望的水平,你该怎么办?我所在的是一个高度专业的营销领域,我是其中一名经验丰富的管理人员。我调查了同一个城市不同公司类似职位的工资水平,结果发现,(可能的)新雇主给出的工资属于最低水平。
    这份工作是一个绝佳的机会,但他们给出的条件仅比我目前的收入略有提高,我相信我应该值更多钱。可我该如何提出加薪要求,又能避免让自己给人贪婪的印象,进而毁掉这次机会呢?——H.H.
    亲爱的H.H.:我猜你一定是通过Salary.com、PayScale.com和JobNob.com这些网站调查了其他公司的工资水平,对吧?这么做自然没什么问题——只是“网站并不会告诉你一个职位享有的那些福利,”克里斯汀•麦基-罗斯说。麦基-罗斯是猎头公司Witt/Kieffer圣路易斯办事处的主理合伙人,曾参加过数百次起薪谈判。“不要只盯着工资。对于高管和经验丰富的管理者而言,福利通常占到总薪酬的30%至40%。”
    她补充道:“薪酬的福利部分非常复杂。看看那些各种各样的保险,比如人寿保险和伤残保险,再加上奖金和股票期权,还有汽车补贴和健身俱乐部会员资格等等。求职者们很少会将这些福利的价值考虑在内。”因此,她建议看看全部薪酬内容,而不要仅仅关注工资本身。全部薪酬内容的价值可能远远高于你的预期。
    不过,我们假设你已经做过这样的调查,结果他们给出的薪酬依然很低。“你当然可以问问原因,”麦基-罗斯说。“但一定要小心。拿着你搜集的那些数据,然后对他们说:‘从这些数据来看,我的市场价值应该是X’,这种做法的基调显然并不正确,对抗性太强。如果你正在与之谈判的那个人是你在新工作中的直接上司,这种做法更不可行。
    相反,她建议:“你可以这样说:‘根据我所做的市场调查,我预期的数字更接近X。您能不能告诉我您是如何决定提供Y的呢?’你希望进行真正的谈判,而不是对质。”以下是其他四条建议,将帮助你增加获得理想薪酬的机会:
    1. 明确自己的优先目标。麦基-罗斯要求求职者们做一个列表,包括3个部分:要接受邀请必须获得的条件;哪些是可选的条件;以及哪些是他们最不关注的,并且为了得到其他东西而愿意放弃的条件。她发现:“列表中的项目,以及各个项目所属的类别,均因人而异。但在谈判之前,你必须得知道自己到底想要什么,需要什么,以及在什么情况下你会放弃。”

Dear Annie: I read your column on how to ask for a raise, but I wonder, what can you do if you get a job offer from a company where you really want to work, but the salary they have in mind is less than you think it should be? I'm an experienced manager in a highly specialized area of marketing, and when I researched what comparable positions pay at various companies in the same city, I discovered that the offer my (potentially) new employer has made is at the rock-bottom of the range.
    The job is a terrific opportunity, but I believe I'm worth more than what they're offering, which is barely more than what I'm already making. How do I say this without seeming greedy, and without blowing my chances? — Hesitating to Haggle
    Dear H.H.: I'm assuming you researched what those other jobs pay by looking at sites like Salary.com, PayScale.com, and JobNob.com, right? There's nothing wrong with that -- except that "the websites don't tell you what benefits come with the position," notes Christine Mackey-Ross. As managing partner of the St. Louis office of executive recruiters Witt/Kieffer, she's a veteran of hundreds of starting pay discussions. "It's not just about salary. For executives and seasoned managers, benefits usually make up 30% to 40% of total compensation.
    "The benefits piece of the package can be complicated," she adds, "if you look at various kinds of insurance, including life and disability, plus bonuses and stock options, all the way down to things like car allowances and health club memberships. Very few candidates really take into account the value of all those things." With that in mind, she suggests taking a second look at the whole offer, rather than just salary. It might be worth more than you think.
    But let's suppose you've already done that, and the pay they're offering still looks too low. "You certainly can ask why," says Mackey-Ross. "Just be careful. Going in with the data you've collected and saying, 'According to this, my market value is X' sets the wrong tone. It's too adversarial, especially if you're negotiating with someone you'll be reporting to in the new job."
    Instead, she suggests, "Say something like, 'From the market research I've done, the figure I was expecting was closer to X. Would you mind walking me through how you arrived at Y?' You want this to be a real negotiation, not a confrontation." Four other tips for boosting the odds that you'll get the pay you want:
    1. Know your priorities. Mackey-Ross asks candidates to make a three-column list: What they feel they must have in order to take the offer; what is optional; and what they care least about and would be willing to give up in order to get something else. "The items on this list, and which category they fall into, can vary quite a lot from one person to another," she notes. "But you need to go into the negotiation knowing exactly what you really want, or need, and at what point you're willing to walk away."

2. 考虑推迟加薪要求。如果公司打算提供的薪酬已经板上钉钉,那么你可以问他们,如果在未来六个月或一年内,你有机会在新工作中证明自己,他们能不能提供加薪或绩效奖金。这种策略通常都会有效,因为这同时也证明了你对这份工作是多么的渴望。麦基-罗斯建议:“说出自己对这个机会的重视,看起来可能会减少你谈判的砝码,而不是增加。但实际上并非如此,因为雇主都希望拥有积极上进的员工。”
    3. 提前彩排。麦基-罗斯说:“许多人只有很少、甚至完全没有任何谈判经验,所以谈判会让他们深深地陷入紧张状态。”如果你也是这样(你问题后面的署名说明你确实有些紧张),搜集所有事实和优先目标,找一位朋友进行练习:“让他们回答你的问题,比如‘抱歉,对于你这个级别的员工,我们只能给这么多。你要么接受,要么放弃吧。’然后练习你自己在真实的谈判中会怎么应对。提前准备越充分,在真正谈判的时候你就会越冷静。”
    4. 从长计议。麦基-罗斯建议:“思考一下这份工作会给你的整个职业生涯带来什么影响。一份工作通常都包括许多无形资产,比如:把这家公司和这个职位添加到你的简历中,能否提高你简历的档次?它能否让你有资格获得一个更高的职位?这些无形资产或许值得你接受短期内低于预期的工资,也就是付出一些‘机会成本’。”
    她补充道,起薪并不是那么重要。“只要你能证明自己为公司带来的价值,几乎可以肯定,你的工资定会上涨。而且,以后你还会有要求加薪的其他机会。这并不是你最后的机会。”
    祝你好运!
    反馈:你在开始一份新工作之前,是否曾经要求雇主提高他们最初提供的工资?你有什么诀窍?欢迎评论。
    译者:刘进龙/汪浩

2. Consider requesting a later increase. If the salary figure the company has in mind is set in stone, ask whether they'd be willing to commit to a raise or a performance bonus in six months or a year, when you've had a chance to prove yourself in the new job. This is most likely to work if you also stress how much you want the job. "Saying how excited you are about this opportunity might seem to give you less leverage, not more," Mackey-Ross notes. "But it doesn't, because employers really want motivated employees."
    3. Rehearse beforehand. "Lots of people have little or no negotiating experience, so the whole idea makes them nervous," Mackey-Ross says. If that applies to you (and the way you signed your question suggests it does), get all your facts and priorities together and find a friend to practice with: "Have them shoot responses at you, like, 'Sorry, this is what we pay people at your level, take it or leave it,' and practice what you would say in the real discussion. The more you prepare ahead of time, the calmer you'll be when you get there."
    4. Take the long view. "Think about how this job will affect your whole career," Mackey-Ross advises. "There are often intangibles -- like how great this company and this position will look on your resume, and how it could qualify you for a bigger job later -- that might be worth an 'opportunity cost' of a lower salary than you'd like in the short term."
    Starting pay is just that, she adds: "Once you've proven what you can do for the company, your salary will almost certainly go up. You'll get other opportunities to negotiate for more money as time goes on. This isn't your last chance."
    Good luck!
    Talkback: Have you negotiated higher pay than the initial offer when starting a new job? What worked for you? Leave a comment below.

1770309616 发表于 2013-11-24 09:19:59
美国年轻人为什么不找工作

报告显示,美国16至24岁的年轻人中有 840万人停止了求职,而一年前只有680万人。为什么?因为缺乏中级岗位,许多工人被迫接受初级岗位,结果把教育水平和经验更少的年轻人挤出了市场。这种情况不仅对这些年轻人,甚至对美国经济都会造成长远的消极影响。

1.jpg

对于美国无业青年状况的报道经常见诸报端,但7月份关于就业市场健康状况的报告,却让我们对这个问题的规模有了新的认识。

有经济学家认为,年轻人失业状况并没有人们描写的那么糟糕,因为许多在校生要么是自谋职业,要么就是还没有开始求职,因此不能算入劳动力当中。今年7月份的一份报告让我们更清晰地了解到如今年轻人所面临的问题——大多数年轻人都临时离开学校,开始求职。

经济大萧条期间,16至24岁既未上学、也没有全职工作的年轻人比例有所减少。与其他年龄段不同,这种减少的趋势并未加强:7月,36%的年轻人拥有全职工作,相比经济危机之前2007年同期减少了10%。当然,在七月份,年轻人纷纷开始暑期实习,因此统计数据中反映了从事带薪实习的年轻人,和从事无薪实习但有兼职工作的年轻人。

进步政策研究所(Progressive Policy Institute)研究年轻人失业问题的经济学家戴安娜•卡鲁说:“他们没有上学,那他们到底在干什么?”她指出,7月份的就业报告显示,16至24岁未上学的无业者比例为17.1%,而六年前仅有11%。而且,个别年龄段的工人因为即将退休而不再被计入劳动力当中,而大量年轻人此时放弃求职的状况尤为令人不安:7月份,840万名16至24岁的年轻人停止求职,而一年前的这一数字只有680万。

不论经济创造就业岗位的速度有多缓慢,这么多年轻人,尤其是没有上学的年轻人,生活依然如此艰难,这确实令人非常吃惊。7月份新增就业岗位主要集中在零售、酒店和酒吧。而这些自然不是薪酬最高的岗位,但它们所需要的技能更低,肯定能吸引那些受教育水平较低的年轻人。原因或许在于卡鲁所谓的“大挤压”,即由于缺乏要求中等技术水平的岗位,迫使许多工人接受薪酬更少、技术要求更低的工作,结果把教育水平和经验更少的年轻人挤出了就业市场。

这种趋势产生了连锁效应。任何人失业都会非常困难,但对于刚刚起步的年轻人,一旦失业,他们的状况将格外艰难;无论从哪个方面来说,他们的状况或许最为严峻。调查显示,由于年轻人之前的经历,再加上错过了发展技能的机会,因此失业的年轻人在失业之后的许多年里,他们的收入也会相对较低。据美国进步中心( Center for American Progress)四月份的一份报告估计,在经济衰退最严重的时期经历过长期失业的年轻人,未来十年的收入会减少超过200亿美元,相当于人均22,000美元。

而这种情况会对美国经济造成深远的影响,我们在从住房到汽车销售的各行各业都看到过这一点。如果有人质疑经济增长速度为何跟不上就业增长速度,认真研究一下美国年轻人或许会有所帮助。(财富中文网)

译者: 刘进龙/汪皓

What it is to be young and unemployed in America has been widely reported, but July's report on the health of the jobs market offers a new snapshot of the scale of the problem.

Some economists have argued youth unemployment isn't as bad as it's made out to be, since many enrolled in school or college are neither employed nor looking for a job and therefore aren't counted as part of the workforce. Of all other months, July provides one of the more accurate pictures of what young people face today -- it's a time when most are taking a break from school and looking for work.

During the Great Recession, the share of 16- to 24-year-olds who were neither enrolled in school nor working full-time fell. Unlike the rest of the population, the decline hasn't improved much: In July, 36% of young people worked full-time, 10% less than the same month in 2007 before the economic downturn. To be sure, July is a time when young people have taken on summer internships, and so the statistics reflect those with paid internships, as well as those with unpaid internship but have taken part-time jobs.

"They're not in school, so what are they doing?" says Diana Carew, economist at Progressive Policy Institute, who studies youth unemployment. She points out that July's jobs report shows that the share of unemployed 16- to 24-year-olds not in school stood at 17.1%, compared with 11% six years ago. And while workers in general have been leaving the labor force, partly because they're aging into retirement, it's especially worrisome when young people drop out: In July, 8.4 million 16- to 24-year-olds stopped looking for work altogether, a rise from 6.8 million a year earlier.

However slowly the economy has been creating jobs, it's still surprising why so many young people, particularly those who aren't in school, are still having a tough time. The bulk of jobs created in July were in retail, restaurants, and bars. These certainly aren't the highest-paying gigs, but they demand fewer skills and would naturally attract those with less education. What's played out is what Carew calls "The Great Squeeze," where the dearth of middle-skilled jobs have forced many workers to settle for whatever they can get, taking lower-skilled jobs for less pay and therefore squeezing those with less education and experience out of the workforce.

The trend has ripple effects. It's hard for most anyone to be out of work, but it's particularly harsh for young people trying to get their start; in many ways, they will likely suffer the most. Factoring in foregone experience and missed opportunities to develop skills, research shows that workers unemployed as young adults earn lower wages for many years following joblessness. It has been estimated that those who experience long-term unemployment during the worst of the recession will lose more than $20 billion in earnings over the next decade, which translates to $22,000 per person, according to an April report by the Center for American Progress.

And all this has wide-ranging implications for the economy, as we've seen in everything from home to car sales. If anyone wonders why the economy isn't growing as fast as the pace of jobs growth, it might help to give America's young people a closer look.

您需要登录后才可以发表评论 登录 | 立即注册

厂商推荐

关于我们  -  服务条款  -  使用指南  -  站点地图  -  友情链接  -  联系我们
电子工程网 © 版权所有   京ICP备16069177号 | 京公网安备11010502021702
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表